Comments

Jan Needle said…
I was making a call once from a payphone on the Isle of Wight, before the mobile era, and got a crossed line with two lovers quarrelling. The man was giving the woman a really hard time on some minor flirting misdemeanour, and when I got bored with listening to his nonsense I butted in and gave him some very reasonable advice on 'how to treat a lady.' No chanced of getting my head punched, so it was hardly bravery. And the young woman, before I broke the connection, said "yeah, he's right though, Tony, isn't he? Now sod off!'

I suppose, in a short story, I could end it: 'This is a true story. Friends - I married her!'

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

How to Live with the End in Mind: Wendy Mitchell’s Choice -- by Julia Jones

Never Mind the Author Workshops, What Shall I Wear on World Book Day 2024? wonders Griselda Heppel

Close Reading | Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose | Karen Kao

Brain on a Train -- Umberto Tosi