A Red Letter Day by Ann Evans


Today is something of a Red Letter Day for me, as it sees the release of my first adult crime novel. It's called Kill or Die, and while it's not self published, I hope you will indulge me giving it a little mention here. It's being published by Bloodhound Books, who have been a real pleasure to work with.

I think we've all had bad experiences at some time or other with some publishers, but I'm feeling really fortunate to be working with two publishers who are just brilliant. My other one is Badger Learning who I write hi-lo books for reluctant teenagers.

I'm not exactly new to writing crime, as my children's books for Scholastic back in the 1990's featured murder mysteries - but murder in the best possible taste! No blood or gore. Whereas in Kill or Die there's definitely bit of the sticky red stuff!

It's funny though, how it's okay to write about murder – unless it's involving animals. When I was just starting to write Kill or Die, I mentioned to my writers' group that the victim's dog gets killed… well there was outrage. “You can't kill the dog!” they all yelled. So back to the drawing board, and the dog survives!


I've been reading quite a few crime novels recently, and felt inspired enough to book for the Harrogate Crime Festival which runs from 20th - 23rd July. It sound fantastic, with some big names there including Dennis Lehane, Lee Child, Ian Rankin, Peter May, Stuart MacBride, Joseph Finder, Arne Dahl, Kathy Reichs, Brenda Blethyn, Robson Green and James Runcie.




Also there's going to be a new Agatha Christie exhibition launching there featuring rare photographs and documents from both Agatha Christie and Collins' archives. It all takes place at The Old Swan Hotel in Harrogate, which is the hotel Agatha Christie was found to be staying at when she went missing for 11 days back in 1926.

I've done an article on it, if anyone wants to read up about it:

Will anyone on Authors Electric be going along to the crimefest? It would be good to meet up if you are.


Comments

JO said…
Well done! You have earned a glass of something bubble today.
Chris Longmuir said…
Congratulations, it looks good. I gave up on Harrogate a couple of years ago. It's a good festival and gets the big names, but it is so big you might meet someone on the first day and never see them again! At the time I was having to prune my conference list because, like Topsy, it was growing and getting out of hand. So I ejected Harrogate in preference for Crimefest. I find Crimefest cosier and more friendly. So, yes, I'll be at Crimefest, give me a nudge. I'll be the one carrying the Agatha Christie tote bag, provided I don't forget it and leave it at home. See you there.
Wendy H. Jones said…
Your book looks great. Definitely worth a mention here. Have a blast at Harrogate
Umberto Tosi said…
Hats off! Sound like a great read. I look forward to it.
Ann Evans said…
Thank you for your comments. Sorry to be a bit late in responding. Cheers everyone!

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

How to Live with the End in Mind: Wendy Mitchell’s Choice -- by Julia Jones

Never Mind the Author Workshops, What Shall I Wear on World Book Day 2024? wonders Griselda Heppel

Close Reading | Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose | Karen Kao

Brain on a Train -- Umberto Tosi